Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Irrelevant substitute

Along the lines of Subway's lame "6 grams of fat" sandwiches vs. McDonald's Big Mac burgers, why do people try to substitute something for another that is not like it?

I hardly drink it now, but I used to drink Dr. Pepper a lot.  When I'd order it at a restaurant that didn't serve it, 99% of the time the server would say "We don't have Dr. Pepper. But we have root beer."  Why would you offer me root beer?  Why not just offer me a regular cola?  Why is root beer almost always offered as a substitute for Dr. Pepper?  It's no more similar to it than regular cola.

If I wanted root beer, I'd order it.  Just about every restaurant has root beer. That's common sense.  So why not just simply say, "I'm sorry. We don't have Dr. Pepper" and let me decide what I'll replace it with?

No comments:

Post a Comment