Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Notivation

I think I’m having my midlife crisis. I’m starting to fully realize I’ve failed at my potential for doing great and/or fulfilling things with my life. I’ve never been motivated to go beyond my comfort zone and pursue a passion. (See my last post for some examples.)

This morning, a random memory popped into my head. After I moved to California, a friend of mine I met in my freshman year of college at Western Washington University and I were chatting online. He said that we should both try to pursue jobs in radio together—that between the two of us someone had to be interested in or at least mildly entertained by our banter. (If only we knew about the future of podcasting!)  He eventually moved to Los Angeles, pursued acting for a bit and ended up doing improvisational comedy for quite a few years before he moved back to Seattle and settled down with a family.  I did… nothing really. I stayed comfortable. Worked regular jobs just to pay debt that I kept accruing.

Notivation. It’s my new word for no motivation. And I want to believe it’s a genetic defect with which I was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment