Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Gimme some of that old-timey music

I miss going on retreats. I recently came back from a houseboat trip in which we were in a cove completely secluded from the rest of the lake. And yet I'm already looking forward to getting away again.

I want a cabin where I can get away.  I want the cabin to have a large porch, with either a rocking chair or swinging bench on it, and I want to be able to listen to some music that I like to call old-timey backwoods music.  It's got that jangling rhythm—a bit of country, a bit of blues, a bit of rockabilly.  A little upbeat but also slow as a lullaby. Maybe drink some coffee in the morning or some sweet tea in the afternoon while swinging on that bench, with the front door open and the screen door closed, listening to music from the speakers inside the cabin filling the air around my porch.  Or maybe I'd be on a back patio playing a one-on-one board game with a friend, where conversation and music can both be enjoyed simultaneously.

I guess what I'm after is a quaint coffee-shop atmosphere, but set in the woods with friends and chill music. And less Jack Johnson.  I'll save his music for the beach house.

Here's an example playlist:

Marc Broussard

"Home"

The Civil Wars

"Barton Hollow"

Johnny Cash

"God's Gonna Cut You Down"

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

"Shuffle Your Feet"

Pawnshop Kings

"Make Me Whole"

Richie Havens

"Tombstone Blues"

Dierks Bentley

"Rovin' Gambler"

The Soggy Bottom Boys

"I Am A Man Of Constant Sorrow"

Sara Watkins

"Long Hot Summer Days"

Nickel Creek

"When In Rome"

The Ranch

"Homespun Love"

Mark Lanegan

"Little Sadie"

Samuel L. Jackson

"Just Like A Bird Without A Feather"

Old Crow Medicine Show

"Down Home Girl"

Fistful Of Mercy

"Father's Son"

Led Zeppelin

"Bron-Y-Aur Stomp"

No comments:

Post a Comment