Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A selection from my melancholy playlist

I have a melancholy playlist in iTunes.  It's for when I feel mopey.  When I feel quiet.  Calm.  Pitiful.  Depressed.  It's for when I feel melancholy (obviously).  I probably listen to a few songs off from that playlist every week.  They're not all slow or depressing songs.  Some are just a little on the mellow side.

A few years ago, before music seemed to only be contained in playlists, iPods, and Pandora--no longer shared in a tangible "mixtape" fashion--a friend of mine used to appreciate the mix CDs I created.  I would usually mix in clips from movies or odd interludes. I put a lot of effort into many of the mixes, the order of the songs, the introduction and usually the closing.  There was a flow, or at the very least a reason a song would be in its place (and probably not obvious to anyone except myself).

My friend posted quite a few months ago that she missed the mixes I used to make.  I knew that she had shared the same melancholy disposition I have had and still do from time to time, so I knew she'd appreciate a mix CD of this nature.  Although I still haven't sent her the CD, I culled a selection of songs from my Melancholy Mix to put the first of what I'm sure will be more than one Melancholy Mix I'll send her eventually.

The XX - "Intro"
Stars - "Your Ex-Lover Is Dead"
Great Northern - "Driveway"
Maurissa Tancharoen & Jed Whedon - "Remains"
Regina Spektor - "Hero"
Joshua Radin - "One Of Those Days"
Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - "Falling Slowly"
Pink Floyd - "Wish You Were Here"
Pearl Jam - "Nothingman"
Jimmy Eat World - "Gotta Be Somebody's Blues"
John Mayer - "Slow Dancing In A Burning Room"
Imogen Heap - "Hide And Seek"
U2 - "Love Is Blindness"
Band Of Horses - "The Funeral"
Jeff Buckley - "Hallelujah"


The following are songs that will most likely go on the next CD whenever I get around to making it.

Joshua Radin - "When You Find Me" (feat. Maria Taylor)
Jon Foreman - "The Cure For Pain"
The Smiths - "Asleep"
K's Choice - "Not An Addict"
Gus - "Don't Fear The Reaper"
Caedmon's Call - "Center Aisle"
Alice in Chains - "Don't Follow"
Nine Inch Nails - "Hurt"

No comments:

Post a Comment