Monday, May 23, 2011

E-books

Why are eBooks nearly just as expensive as their paper counterparts?

There's no continued printing cost, not really any reprinted editions, no shipping cost.  It's just the cost of developing an electronic format of the book, right?  This process is probably pretty digitized as it is, so I can't imagine the continued cost of creating eBooks being all that costly.

I suppose there's no reason to drop the price of eBooks as it seems there's a big market push for e-readers and such.  I also suppose it's because I don't read that much that I don't care about the portability of a book.  I usually read only at home, so it's fine to hold a book.  I prefer to hold a book.  I like the feel of it.  I like displaying it on my bookshelf when I'm done reading it (or displaying it on my bookshelf before I read it, as there are many, many more unread books on my bookshelf than read ones).

Or maybe I just don't like seeing what is clearly a gross markup in price to maximize profit.  In any case, with apps for smart phones costing only a few dollars, I don't see why something that is only words on an electronic screen should cost much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment