Tuesday, June 14, 2011

“Excited”

I wrote this poem this morning. I rarely feel like anything I write is complete and this is no exception, but I wanted to get this posted so I wouldn’t lose the momentum.

“Excited”

I get excited when my phone chirps because it might be her.
Maybe an email, a text or a tweet from Twitter.
I get excited when I see her because I know I'll be hypnotized.
There's nothing else I want to think about when I look into her eyes.
I get excited when she's near, even more so at the slightest touch.
I love to make her swoon. It's a constant goal to make her blush.
I get excited when we're together, the moments that seem to linger.
It's adorable when she giggles, when she nervously bites her finger.
I get excited when she changes her hair. I look forward to every style.
I like driving her around in my car, always hoping for another mile.
I get excited for her comebacks and her innuendos, her hilarious and clever wit.
My eyes water and my gut hurts something fierce when she puts me in a laughing fit.
I get excited when she tolerates my dumb jokes, I love hearing her laughter.
When we part ways, I can't resist to text or email her that I miss her after.
I get excited when we're out to eat and she's bold to try something new.
It's cute when she feeds me a bite, and generous when she feeds me a few.
I get excited when I discover we have so much in common with each other.
All kinds of music, books, movies, bacon and even peanut butter.

I get excited, full of butterflies, but then tears begin to swell.
She's not mine to have. If she ever could be, I cannot tell.
I get excited and flush with tingles, but then it's difficult for my throat to swallow.
My mind knows I should move in a new direction, but my heart refuses to follow.
I get excited, but the notions are bittersweet and full of longing sighs.
I can't stop the rush of emotions, no matter how hard I try.
I get excited because I'm a fool for wanting the romance.
I hold my breath and I hold hope for some miraculous chance.
I get excited. The future's unwritten. The excitement may not survive.
But for now I'll keep her twitterpated, because it makes me feel alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment